Friday, August 17, 2007

IM me, baby

i have a little bit of experience IM'ing thanks to my distance ed degree. (in fact, i remember a painfully embarrassing moment that occurred during an online class when i accidentally sent a private message meant for one person-- to the *entire* class.) in that respect, instant messaging helped me work on group projects and bridge the distance between myself and my classmates.

however, it's not something that is a part of my everyday life. in fact, i find it kind of annoying. typing under pressure isn't really for me. and i figure, if i really have something to say to someone who is not in my presence, i'll just call them, right?

so i called my boyfriend and asked him to be my guinea pig.

it went kind of like this (we were still on the phone for some reason)....

me: "okay i just sent it, didja get it?"

him: "oh! okay i got it..... i just sent you something, do ya' see it?"

me: "i got it...neat! okay i just sent you something back..."

etc, etc....

then we giggled and repeated the (simultaneously verbal and virtual) conversation about 40 more times. now i just have to do it without the phone!

i am pleasantly surprised by my IM experience. i thought it was fun and i felt really comfortable talking with someone online. i can still be expressive, just in a different way. i know a handful of people that IM who will be glad to know that i am catching on. :) still not into typing under pressure, though. makes me stressed out. especially when i misspell a word!

No comments: