Monday, October 29, 2007

Almost there!!!! Online Apps....

Hey. I learned something new. Neat! I didn't even know that online apps existed until today. Thanks Techtrek! This makes my life a whole lot easier because I just bought a MAC computer and haven't been able to transfer files between it and my work PC. I was reluctant to buy MS Office for MAC because A) it's kind of expensive B) I wasn't sure how compatible it would be with the version at work and C) the demo that came installed on the MAC was not very user-friendly. Now I don't have to worry about it! (and I am saving a couple bucks too!)

I took a spin around Google Docs first but I prefer Zoho because it seems to offer more advanced features and I like being able to publish to a blog. I'm sure I need to spend a little more time in the learning curve but the similarities to MS Office made it easy to jump right in and get started.

Again, my first thought when using this was "why didn't I know about this in library school!!??!" The collaborative features in the application would have made those group paper writing sessions a lot less stressful. I'm sure I will encounter situations in my career in which I will have to prepare reports, papers, and presentations with my colleagues and this is a much more organized and streamlined way to go about it.

My second thought was that this is going to be really really great to share with our patrons. Online apps are a ready-made solution for all sorts of floppy disk issues and data loss pitfalls.

This one is definitely a keeper in my web 2.0 toolkit!






D

No comments: