Saturday, October 13, 2007

Wookies...Er, I mean Wikis

All I can say is, why didn't we use these things in library school!!! Our group projects would have gone a LOT smoother if we had. I like the fact that users can mange their own content and don't have to be ultra-experienced with html or web design. I also like the inherent versatility of a wiki. We can share information with each other, or with our patrons. The possibilities really are endless, you only have to decide a wiki's purpose or function at the onset, and then watch it grow! Not only can the library make information readily available to its' patrons this way, we can interact with them and respond to feedback.

I visited the Princeton Public Library's BookLover's page first because reader's advisory is the first option that comes to mind when I think about wiki possibilities. Reader's advisory is our number one question at my branch but each of us is called upon for our individual "specialities" due to our varied reading interests. It would be nice to have our collective reccomendations pooled into once resource that any of us can access at any given time. I think it is really cool that both staff and patrons can contribute reviews to Princeton's wiki. Well-read patrons offer a wealth of knowledge in terms of reader's advisory and also reflect the reading needs and interests of the general public. Our patrons could really benefit from this kind of feature being offered in addition to or as part of the catalog.

The Bull Run Library wiki shows me that a wiki can be a big or as small as you want it to be. It is awesome to know that even the most "budgetarily challenged" library can still have an online presence through a wiki both cheaply and easily. On the small-scale range, I can see using a wiki simply as a communication tool among staff members to share information that is helpful and current for people working the service desks. For example, if a big homework assignment is underway, I could leave information about what types of sources students are looking for, what has already been checked out, and links to items in the catalog or helpful websites.

Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki is an excellent example of how wikis can be a profession-wide tool. I, personally, detest listservs and though I might be missing out on great ideas and information, I choose not to participate. They are too unorganized and cumbersome to deal with and I get enough junk mail clogging up my inbox as it is! However, I see wiki's as a MUCH more user-friendly alternative. My favorite example of this is Nancy Keen's ATN Reading Lists. Now if I can just find a good storytime ideas wiki, I'll be in business.

No comments: